Saturday, November 15, 2008

Great Books of the Western World

In 1952 Britannica released a set of the Great Books of the Western World. I saw these for the first time at a training retreat, and fell in love with them. Well bound and containing an immense amount of literature in 54 volumes, I decided I would pick up a copy.

On Amazon they go for around 300, but I sniped mine on Ebay for a low 75.

Included in the introduction volume is an essay/letter that discusses the failing nature of the Western Education system (remember this is from '52), and it mirrored many of my sentiments from High School.

I have decided to follow the "10 year plan" they have as a tool to start reading these texts. It is my goal to read them faster than that, but we will have to see how my time works out. After I read each text I'll post my thoughts... mostly to solidify them. If you aren't me, feel free to post your thoughts and replies. Discussion is welcome.

No comments: