Friday, December 5, 2008

Plutarch: Numa Pompilius

Numa, like Lycurgus, was an influential person in the formation of a nation. This time it was the Roman Empire instead of Greece. I found three things that caught my attention. I'm not sure if I should only write about the random tidbits that tickle my fancy or should use this as an opportunity to write about the traditional 'points of interest'. I still like the prior so I'll go with it.

In our current world where the American people, having been struck, were hellbent on war after Sept 11th. The following quote seems like wisdom to apply to such situations.
"But, if, indeed, their desires are uncontrollably and madly set on war, were it not better, then, to have the reins held by such a moderating hand as is able to divert the fury another way..."
The problem was that our leader wasn't holding the reins very tightly. The question that I'm learning to ask more and more: "In what ways can we...". I want to see a move from reactionary choices to the 'moderating hand' that Plutarch references. I think that it's important to understand that when there is attack or provocation that there is going to be a heated spirit fired on adrenaline. Wisdom in those situations is knowing how to divert it and to where it should be diverted.

The second thing of note: Fecials. Where are the peacemakers in our world?
"These Fecials [an order of priest], or guardians of peace, seem to have had their name from their office, which was to put a stop to disputes by conference and speech; for it was not allowable to take up arms until they had declared all hopes of accommodation to be at an end, for in Greek, too, we call it peace when disputes are settled by words, and not by force."
It hurts me to argue this definition of peace, but I know the danger of words. I would argue that words are more peaceful than spilling blood, but most of the violence I see in my day to day life comes without a single blow. Step 1: Stop settling arguements with force; Step 2: find respect for those who you disagree with. How? The best I can do is offer the suggestion is value other people more than your own oppinions. In the Christian Worldview phrase it, "Since you are my brother in Christ that relationship is more important than have my way."

The third deals with prayer,
"the lawgiver wants to habituate us to make our petitions to the deity not by the way, and, as it were, in a hurry, when we have other things to do, but with time and leisure to attend to it."
Faith is important to me. Learning how to build a relationship with God is imporant to me. Since it is important to me, I have to wonder how it should be lived out. If a large part of my identity is spiritual; there is a God; activity can happen on the spiritual plane then I should interact with God. Often this gets clumped together as prayer.

If that is the case then how should I do it? It's not something that should be in passing... this isn't like going to the bathroom or blowing my nose. This is an activity like eating, work and play. This is a part of my life where I need to set time and focus aside.

No comments: